Tuesday 12 August 2008

HAIRDO'S #3 - All rolled up

I have made another tutorial for you to try out. THis one is also quite fast to make when you know what you're doing. So in the beginning it might take some time...
It's is inspired by this kind of a 1940's do:


(I actually found this picture in the web after making the tutorial so it's not exactly the same, but similar. Didn't think of parting the hair and crossing the two parts over each other before the roll like in the picture. Maybe worth a try.)

So, for this do you'll need bobbypins and a hair rat/bun/roll.

First, make two small victory rolls on each side of the head (I have combed my bang to one side, but this do will of course work fine with curled bangs too). Take the hair from the top of your head on and roll it in the same way as in my previous tutorial. Fasten the roll with bobbypins. You can also just puff your hair by using combs aswell.



I make the roll quite flat but you can also roll it higher by placing it more on the top of your head.



Then roll the other side. If you have your bang down you should part the hair in the middle and make the rolls as high and big on each side (since my hair is parted to one side now one roll is smaller and the other bigger). I have twisted my bang up towards the roll and secured it with bobbypins.



Now for the rest of the hair - grab the bun roll and place it at the end of your hair, and start rolling the hair around it upwards, towards your head. Make sure that the bun is all covered and not showing from anywhere. You might have to roll the hair a couple of times to get it right.





Fasten it with as many pins as it takes in order for it to feel like it will stay. Stick the pins in from the top and press down.. The edges of the hair-roll may feel a bit loose and fluffy. You need to twist them slightly inwards and tuck the looser hair into the roll - stick a bobbypin in the hair horistontally, twist in upwards and then down into the bun to get the hair tight.



Add a flower or stomehing else pretty and you're done!




This will also work for short hair. With the rat-roll-bun thing you can rather easily make a do that will give the image of longer locks.


I've tried this on Ina who has rather short hair. Her hair is longer in the front and shorter in the back, on the edge of being too short actually. I could make the roll but it wouldn't stay in place propably. I'd say your hair should go 1,5 times around the bun for it to work. Mine again goes about five times around it which almost is too much, since the roll gets rather heavy.

So, start rolling!
(And yes, the long-promised makeup thing will come here soon...)

35 comments:

Bex said...

Love your tutorials!!

Lil' Puch said...

Just Amazing!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Heippa!ootko sattumalta nähnyt noita patukoita Helsingissä myynnissä, vai tilasitko omasi jostain? Kiitos!

AlicePleasance said...

This one is splendid! I'm not that great at all with haircombs, but I'm gonna trying something for Saturday at least...! I can't wait for the make up thing now ;-)

Make Me Up said...

hi! I love your'e tutorials! Haven't tried any of them yet, but I will definetly try this one tonight! Have a nice day!

anna said...

Where did you get that bun roll from? My boyfriend suggested I should go to Bauhaus and buy some of those painting devices (patteririssa suomeksi, se vaahtomuovijuttu) and use them :) My hair is getting longer by the day, so I should start practising doing the back of my hair.

I just love how you look!

Stella Polaris said...

Love this one! I'll have to try it.

Anonymous said...

YAY! Thanks so much for your tutorials! I'm definitely going to try this one, it looks absolutely stunning.

Candice DeVille said...

Awesome. I recently got one of these long rats and hadn't quite figured out how I'd use it. Now I have your solution!

B-b-b-etty said...

nice. i have done this once or twice before.

Mrs Munster said...

I absolutely adore these hair tutorials. I just haven't got the patience to practice them. My hair is just difficult to control.

Pratishtha Durga said...

You are coming up with these tutorials faster than i can try the hair-styles. But keep them coming, girl, I love them all!

Doriz Jeltzin said...

I'm not very good at keeping my hair in line, but I would love to one day get to set it up by myself this well. I think your doing a very good job with both your hair and dressing.

Mrs Munster said...

I mentioned about "moving rottweiler from the photo" in last blog entry. There's a recent incident in my blog now...

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

How chic! I must attempt this one day.

Anonymous said...

~ !!! awesome !!!!!! ~ I am going to wear this hairstyle soooon!!!!! thank you so much for breaking it down so easily.
* : )

Mónica said...

Wow, your ability for hair is impressive! I wish I could do that to myself

Unknown said...

does it work on layered hair like mine?...or is my hair wayy too short for this?

Anonymous said...

Que Bello!! me encanta te Felicito, te queda genial, manejas con un arte tu cabello, ojala yo lo pudiera hacer pero nada, seguire intentando y gracias por estos tutoriales, son maravillosos.

Saludos desde Venezuela
Cora.

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Thank you all. If you make any hairdo's inspired by my tutorials I'd love to see photos you know :)

Birgitta & Anna: I ordered mine from ebay, but you should be able get them form hair salons etc. tried to look at tockmann's but they didn't have any! Anna -I think that painting-roll thig from Bauhaus will work. baiscly anything that is firm and light enough, that you still can stick pins through should dso the trick. If the roll you get from there is too ligh-cloured and shows trhough you could always cover it up with a black nylon sock or so...

Mrs.Muster: Hah! Must go check it out :D

Turquoise Passion : layered is ok if it's longer underneath but your's might be a bit it might be a it too short thoug. BUt you could always give it a try anyway - if you don't want to buy a bun or so you could try rolling it around a something sfot first to see if yo have enoug hair.

Anonymous said...

I adore those tutorials! I wish my hair would be long enough!

Caroline said...

this is so incredible! i can't wait to try it.

Oyinda said...

Just like to say a big thanks for the hairdo's section. It so refreshing as most hair mags/sites offer only the traditional cut and blow dry looks!
Keeep it up, its thoroughly appreciated!

Miriam Parkman said...

Where do you buy your rats and buns? I'm hunting them!

Lovely hairdo, I usually do a similar one, but without the rats it's far away from the elegance of yours.

Anonymous said...

I'm french and I don't speack english but I try to say you that your blog is so fantastic ....and I adore your style !!!!

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Nadine, Carloline, Oyinda : Thanks, glad you like it :)

Miriam : I bought mine frmo ebay but you should be able to get them from hair salons aswell!

LAtruff : Merci! Tu peux commenter en francais aussi.

Anonymous said...

You are really really talented when it comes to your hair! I love it, and I must give it a go...! I love these retro style hair do's!

Thanks!

Mademoiselle M.

Bunny B said...

Wow!! That's gorgeous!

Karin said...

Where do you find these bun rolls? Have been looking allover for them!
Thanks Karin

Sallamaari said...

What are those rats or buns called in Finnish?

Anonymous said...

Wow!! I just tied it yet, it wasn´t so easy and didn´t looked as googd as yours,but I will practice this! Feel like a 40s Diva :-)

A Spoonful of Shit said...

thanks so much for this tutorial!

i tried it out and it worked out wonderfully :)

Emily said...

Love your tutorials!!

Gabriella said...

I have been looking everywhere for a tutorial on this kind of hairstyle!!! Thanks so much!!!

feliscatus said...

Salut! Hi!

Thanks for your tutorial:)

J'adore ton style, superbe blog!

;)